Who in their right mind kills innocent school kids? The answer: nobody.
Terrorists are not “in their right minds” either. But does anyone believe if we could effectively ban bombs, or the materials to build them, terrorist attacks would stop? Of course not. They would simply use other means to fulfill their objectives. Same goes for school shootings. The objective of a school killer with mental illness is to kill, not to shoot an automatic rifle. Knives, poisons, pipe bombs and automobiles could also serve a killer’s purpose.
Instead of more ineffective gun laws, let’s consider alternatives that would actually make a difference:
• Identify better methods to identify mentally troubled individuals and allow investigators to err on the side of caution when determining mental assessments.
• Better awareness programs for students of all ages to identify signs and report them in a safe and confidential environment.
• Metal detectors and video cameras placed at school entrances.
• Paid, trained and ARMED officer on premises during school hours.
• Teachers who would voluntarily agree to be trained to carry a concealed weapon, including small handguns, tasers, mace, etc.
IMO, citizens would agree to pay for safer schools with slight increases in local and state tax dollars, and then possibly matched by the federal government.